Neutraceuticals refers to extracts of foods claimed to have a medicinal effect on human health.
- The neutraceuticals is usually contained in a medicinal format such as a capsule, tablet or powder in a prescribed dose.
- Functional foods, type of neutraceuticals, are defined as being consumed as part of a usual diet but are demonstrated to have physiological benefits and/or reduce the risk of chronic disease beyond basic nutritional functions.
- Examples are flavonoids, antioxidants, alpha linoleic acid from flax seeds, beta-carotene from marigold petals, anthocyanins from berries, etc.
- Dietary Supplements
- With the US Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), several other compounds were added to the list of supplements originally mentioned in FDA notification.
- Thus, many botanical and herbal extracts such as ginseng, garlic oil, etc. have been developed as dietary supplements
- Dietary supplements are often used in nutrient premixes or nutrient system in the food and pharmaceutical industries.
- Very few of these products, however, have sufficient scientific evidence proving health benefits to consumers.
Dietary Supplement Drugs
- Biological Source: It is the dried gummy exudation obtained by incision from stems and branches of Astragalus gummifer and other species of Astragalus, belonging to Family: Leguminosae.
- Chemical Constituents:mWater soluble tragacanthin 8-10%, Water insoluble bassorin 60-70%,
- Gum is responsible for its viscosity
- Products of hydrolysis are galactouronic acid, D-galatopyranose, L- arabino-rhamnose and D- xylopyranose.
- Astragalus has no known harmful side-effects.
- Biological Source: It is the compound leaves from the rhizomes of the plant Cimicifuga racemes, belonging to Family: Rananculaceae
- Chemical Constituents: Flavanoids (isoflavone-biochanin), Kaempferol glycoside, Triterpene glycoside, Terpenoids (cimigoside, actein, cimiracemoside A), Various organic acids (isoferulic acid, caffeic acid, fukiic acid, piscidic acid)
Evening Primrose Oil
- Biological Source: Evening primrose oil is a dietary supplement derived from the seeds of the evening primrose plant Oenothera biennis, belonging to Family: Onagraceae.
- Chemical Constituents: Linoleic acid 72%, Gamma-linolenic acid 9%, both are essential in the formation of prostaglandins.
- Biological Source: Grape seed oil is a vegetable oil pressed from the seeds of various varieties of Vitis, i.e. Vitis vinifera, belonging to Family Vitaceae.
- Chemical constituents: 0.8 to 1.5% unsaponifiables rich in phenols (tocopherols, Steroids (campesterol, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol), Small amounts of vitamin E, Many fatty acids like palmitic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, etc.
- Biological Source: It is the leaves and flower buds obtained from Camellia sinensis, belonging to Family Theaceae.
- Chemical Constituents: Caffeine 1-3%, Theobromine, Theophylline, Color due to gallotannic acid 15%, Enzymatic mixture thease.
- Biological Source: It is seed obtained from plant Prunus dulcis, belonging to the family Rosaceae.
- Chemical Constituents: Amygdalin, Betulinic acids, Oleanic acids, Ursolic acids, Quercetin, isorhamnetin, quercitin, kaempferol, and morin
- Biological Source: It is the tuber (root) obtained from the plant Asparagus officinalis, belonging to Family Liliaceae.
- Chemical Constituents: Officinalisins I and II, Beta-sitosterol, Steroidal glycosides (asparagosides A to I), Asparagus acid
- Biological Source: It is the flowering plant of Medicago sativa, belonging to Family Fabaceae.
- Chemical Constituents: Steroidal saponins fraction (soyasapogenols, hederagenin, medicagenic acid), Toxic amino acid L-canavanine, stachydrine and l-homo-stachydrine
- Biological Source: It is the kernel of one or more cultivated varieties of Arachis hypogaea, belonging to Family: Leguminosae.
- Chemical constituents: Lycerides of oleic acid, linolenic acid, Seed coat contains catechol and leuco-anthocyanide with vitamin P properties, Essential amino acids
- Biological Source: It is the root obtained from the plant of Beta vulgaris, belonging to Family: Chenopodiaceae.
- Chemical constituents: Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Betaine, Contains minerals and Dietary fibers.