Admission in Ph.D Programme, July 2011
Applications are invited from interested candidates for admission to full-time / part- time Ph. D. programmes in the following Departments and Groups: (Please see Department profiles on Institute website for research areas in each Department, and please read all other associated documents including Instructions for filling the application form, fee structure, grouping of candidates, Excerpts etc).
Departments: Pharmaceutical Sciences, Architecture, Applied Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Applied Mechanics, Applied Physics, Bio-Technology, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Information Technology, Management, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical & Polymer Engineering, Production Engineering, Remote Sensing and Space Engineering & Rocketry.
Click here to download
- An applicant for admission to the Ph.D. programme of this Institute shall possess, normally, an M.Phil./Master’s degree in Technology/ Engineering/ Pharmacy/ Management/ Architecture/ or equivalent, with a minimum of 60% marks for General candidates (55% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates) at Master’s level or an M.Phil./Master’s Degree in Science/Humanities with a minimum of 55% marks for General candidates (50% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates) at Master’s level or any other discipline approved by the Technical Council of the Institute from time to time.
- Applicants with B.Tech /B.E./B.Sc. Engg./B.Arch./B. Pharm./M.B.B.S. having a First Class or minimum of 60% marks for General candidates (55% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates), at Graduation level, may also apply.
- However, an applicant having professional qualifications such as Associate Member of Institution of Engineers (India) / Aeronautical Society of India or equivalent may be considered for admission to the Ph.D. programme only after he/she completes the M.E. programme of any recognized university with a minimum of 60% marks (55% in case of Full-Time Sponsored candidates with a minimum of three years professional experience, and SC/ST candidates) at Master’s level.
- Candidates must have adequate proficiency in written and spoken English. Foreign nationals, excluding ex-students and faculty/staff members of B.I.T. International Centres, possessing any of the qualification listed at A (i), (ii), (iii) above shall be required to clear TOEFL or any other equivalent examination prescribed by the Technical Council of the Institute from time to time to become eligible for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
Selection to the Ph.D. programmes would be based on previous Academic record, Performance in a Written Test (see below) followed by an Interview.
Date, Time and Venue of the Ph.D. Entrance Test: 10 August 2011, 9 am to 1 pm
At the Institute Main Building on the Institute’s Campus at Mesra, Ranchi 835215
The Ph.D. Entrance Test would consist of 2 parts
a) General Aptitude Test common to all applicants, from 9.00 am to 9.45 am on 10 August 2011 and
b) Subject Specific Tests to examine basic fundamental knowledge in the subject, from
Date and Venue for Interviews: 10 August 2011, from 2 pm, at the concerned Department
Provisional selection lists, along with procedures for admissions, will be notified by 5 pm on the day after the interviews, on the Institute website and Notice Boards of the Institute only. No separate intimations will be sent to candidates. Provisionally selected candidates will be required to take admission by the date given, failing which vacant seats may be allotted to waitlisted candidates. The list of waitlisted candidates will also be announced on our website and Institute Notice Boards only. No separate intimations will be sent to candidates.
Candidates provisionally admitted to the Ph.D. programme will be required to fill the Enrollment Form with details of their proposed field of research, research topic, and name of their guide, within 2 to 4 weeks after their admission, and submit the same to the Dean, Doctoral Research, through the Head of the concerned Department. (The Enrollment Form will be available at their Department office / office of the Dean Admission & Academic Coordination).
How to Apply
To apply for the Ph.D. programme of the Institute, eligible candidates must download and print the application form on our website, and send the completed form along with three recent colour photographs (one pasted on the form and two attached by paper clip to the form), with photocopies of all marksheets and certificates (see List of Enclosures on page 3 below), and a crossed Demand Draft for Rs. 2,000/- (non-refundable) in favour of Birla Institute of Technology, payable at Ranchi, in a stout A4 size envelope by Speedpost / Registered Post / reliable courier to the office of Dean Admission & Academic Coordination, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi – 835215, positively by the due date. Write “Application for Ph.D. 2011 on the envelope”. Applications reaching us after the due date are liable to be rejected / may not be processed.
The last date for receipt of completed application form is 4 P.M. ON 29 July 2011
List of enclosures
Document required at the time of Interviews:
Candidates must carry the originals of the following documents at the time of Test and interviews, as well as an extra set of photocopies
Document required at the time of Admission:
If provisionally selected, candidates will be required to submit all the documents below in original (except the Photo ID) at the time of admission, along with the requisite fees.
Candidates must attach two recent colour passport size photographs, identical to that affixed in the application form. These should be attached by a paper clip. Candidates must enclose photocopies of the following documents with the duly completed Application Form:
- Pass certificate of Class 10
- Marksheet of Class 10
- Marksheet of Class 12 / Intermediate or equivalent
- Certificate and Marksheets of Graduation
- Certificate and marksheets of Post Graduation
- College Leaving Certificate and Migration Certificate
- Candidates with qualifications acquired through correspondence or distance-learning programmes are eligible only if (a) they acquired such qualifications as working professionals / while in employment, (b) the programmes are recognized by the DEC-UGC-AICTE or MHRD, (c) they have passed the qualifying examination at the time of applying, with minimum requisite marks as given in eligibility criteria. They must enclose photocopies of (i) work experience certificate (ii) pass certificate and marksheets of qualifying examination with their application.
- CSIR-NET / BRNS/ NBHM/ GATE / GPAT 2011 admit card and Score card (if applicable)
- Caste certificate / special category certificate (if applicable) in proper format (see below)
- Sponsorship letter, NOC & Experience certificate (if applicable)
- Photo identification: (Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Employee Identification Card are acceptable)
- Two self-addressed slips with phone number (see last page of application form)
Write your Name, your telephone number and Ph.D. 2011 on the back of each of these documents and certificates. All such papers must be stapled or stitched to the form.
For more details please visit www.bitmesra.ac.in